- WILTON, a parish, in the district of Hawick, county of Roxburgh; containing, with the hamlets of Appletree-Hall and Dean, and a small portion of the town of Hawick, 1867 inhabitants. This place, of which the name in ancient records is written Walltown and Willistown, is of uncertain origin; and little worthy of historical notice occurs with respect to the parish, which may be regarded as a suburban district to the town of Hawick. The parish is situated on the river Teviot, along the banks of which it extends for nearly five miles; it is about three and a half miles in breadth, and comprises an area of seventeen and a half square miles. It is bounded on the north by the parishes of Minto and Lilliesleaf, on the east by Cavers, on the south by Hawick, and on the west by the parishes of Ashkirk and Roberton. About two-thirds of the land, which is of moderate quality, are under tillage; and the remainder, with the exception of about 100 acres of woodland, is in pasture. The system of agriculture is good, and the four and five shift courses of husbandry prevail; considerable progress has recently been made in draining, and there have been some attempts in the lower lands to raise crops of spring wheat, and with very encouraging success. The principal plantations are, oak, ash, elm, and beech, with some larch, and Scotch, spruce, and silver firs. The farm-buildings are generally modern and commodious; the lands, likewise, are all inclosed, and the arable fields are fenced with thorn, which is thriving and well kept. Considerable expense has been incurred in an embankment of the Teviot, which is however not sufficient fully to protect the lands from the overflowing of that river. The chief fuel is coal, which is partly brought from Northumberland, and from Berwickshire by way of Kelso: in consequence of greater competition it has recently been procured at a more moderate price than formerly. Nearly one-half of the lands are the property of the Duke of Buccleuch, who is also owner of the teinds; and the remainder is divided among numerous minor heritors. There are several neat family residences, of which Wilton Lodge, Stirches, an ancient mansion, Burngrove, Whitehaugh, Midshiels, and Briery-Yards, are the principal.A considerable portion of the population are employed in the woollen manufacture, which is extensively carried on in the parish, and for which considerable facilities are afforded by the river, and by the tributary streams of Borthwick, which falls into it near the southern extremity of the parish, and Slitrig, which joins it at Hawick. There are five mills for spinning wool; two are the property of persons in this parish, and three of persons resident in Hawick. The manufactured articles are, lambs' wool yarn and hosiery, blankets, plaidings, flannels, tartan shawls, and other goods of a similar kind. The mills contain fifty teazing, scribbling, and carding engines, preparing wool sufficient for the constant working of 9578 spindles. The quantity of wool consumed weekly is nearly 12,000 pounds; there are 230 persons who have the care of the machinery and supply it with the material, 240 employed in the manufacture of stockings, seventy-five weavers, and about forty persons engaged in the scouring, dyeing, and finishing of the goods. Some of these mills employ two sets of workpeople, and are continued in operation day and night. A communication has been opened with Hawick, by the construction of a bridge of four arches over the river Teviot; and the line thus formed joins the Edinburgh road at a place called Dovemount Well. The nearest post is Hawick, and the market of that place is frequented by the inhabitants of this parish. There are two inconsiderable hamlets, in addition to what may be called the village; these are, Appletree-Hall to the north, and Dean to the south. The rateable annual value of Wilton is £9794. It is in the presbytery of Jedburgh, synod of Merse and Teviotdale, and patronage of the Duke of Buccleuch: the minister's stipend is £294. 2. 9., with a manse, and the glebe is valued at £30 per annum. A considerable portion of the glebe, called the Mains of Wilton, lying contiguous to the manse, is supposed to have been originally given to the then minister by his relative, the Laird of Langland. There are also about sixteen acres of land lying at some distance from the manse, which were acquired by the minister on the division of the common in 1765; but the soil is of very inferior quality. The church, built in 1762, and to which, in 1801, a new aisle was added, by subscription, is conveniently situated nearly in the centre of the parish, and affords accommodation to 460 persons. The parochial school gives a liberal education to a large number of scholars; the master has a salary of £34. 4.4., with £45 fees. The school-house and the dwelling-house are both indifferent and incommodious, and the master receives a compensation in money for deficiency of garden-ground. The Rev. Mr. Crawfurd, incumbent of the parish in 1713, was eminent for his literary attainments, and was author of a work entitled Dying Thoughts; and the Rev. Dr. Charters, a subsequent minister, was distinguished as a preacher, and for his exemplary piety.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Wilton — may refer to: Places England*Wilton, Cumbria, a place in the county of Cumbria *Wilton, Ross on Wye, a village in south Herefordshire *Wilton, North Yorkshire, a place in the county of North Yorkshire *Wilton, Redcar and Cleveland, a place in the … Wikipedia
Wilton — Wilton, WI U.S. village in Wisconsin Population (2000): 519 Housing Units (2000): 233 Land area (2000): 0.845857 sq. miles (2.190760 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.845857 sq. miles (2.190760… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Wilton — ist die Bezeichnung folgender Orte: Wilton (Wiltshire) in Großbritannien Wilton (Cork) in Irland in den USA: Wilton (Alabama) Wilton (Arkansas) Wilton (Connecticut) Wilton (Florida) Wilton Manors, Florida Wilton (Iowa) Wilton (Kalifornien) Wilton … Deutsch Wikipedia
Wilton — [wilt′ n] n. [after Wilton, city in S England, where it was first made] a kind of carpet with a velvety pile of cut loops: also Wilton carpet or Wilton rug … English World dictionary
Wilton, AL — U.S. town in Alabama Population (2000): 580 Housing Units (2000): 253 Land area (2000): 0.832043 sq. miles (2.154981 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.832043 sq. miles (2.154981 sq. km) FIPS code … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Wilton, AR — U.S. town in Arkansas Population (2000): 439 Housing Units (2000): 202 Land area (2000): 1.303836 sq. miles (3.376920 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.303836 sq. miles (3.376920 sq. km) FIPS… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Wilton, CA — U.S. Census Designated Place in California Population (2000): 4551 Housing Units (2000): 1579 Land area (2000): 29.617148 sq. miles (76.708057 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 29.617148 sq. miles… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Wilton, IA — U.S. city in Iowa Population (2000): 2829 Housing Units (2000): 1141 Land area (2000): 1.874156 sq. miles (4.854042 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.874156 sq. miles (4.854042 sq. km) FIPS code … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Wilton, ME — U.S. Census Designated Place in Maine Population (2000): 2290 Housing Units (2000): 1078 Land area (2000): 4.082432 sq. miles (10.573451 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.895078 sq. miles (2.318241 sq. km) Total area (2000): 4.977510 sq. miles… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Wilton, MN — U.S. city in Minnesota Population (2000): 186 Housing Units (2000): 80 Land area (2000): 2.321906 sq. miles (6.013708 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.042707 sq. miles (0.110610 sq. km) Total area (2000): 2.364613 sq. miles (6.124318 sq. km) FIPS… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places